Pumpkin Pie Playdough!





You will find endless recipes for Pumpkin Pie Playdough on the web, but this little gem is my own version, not a copy and paste deal. The base recipe is from my daughter's preschool, I wish I could give credit to a specific person, but I don't know who wrote it. The rest of it is a result of my own experimentation.

I get that the bright orange is a really fun playdough color, but I like my Pumpkin Pie Playdough to look like actual pumpkin pie, that creamy golden color with the little flecks of spice. It looks good enough to eat, and the smell is delicious, so make sure your kid is old enough to know not to eat it! On the plus side, the recipe is pretty benign so it probably won't hurt them if they do.

Here we go:

Mama Lion's Pumpkin Pie Playdough


Mix together:

2 1/4C Flour
1C Salt
2tsp Cream of Tartar


Put on stove in large pot.

Add:

Color (mixed in water first) 25 drops yellow, 10 red, 5 green and 2 blue
2C Hot Water
2 Tbs Olive Oil

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice 
(Or you can just add 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice)

 Mix it all together with a fork until smooth.
Apply the lowest heat possible and stir like crazy.
When thickened tip onto board and knead.


Tips: I'd suggest using a silicone spatula, scrape the pot really well during heating, and don't take it off the heat until you have a real dough ball, not too mushy. If it ends up being too sticky (sometimes the food coloring can do that) add a little salt and a little flour while you're kneading until it gets to the right consistency. Remember it will also get less sticky once it's completely cool, but playing with it when it's warm is often the best part of making it yourself :)


Comments

Popular Posts